  • From: Martin Hepp <mhepp AT computer.org>
  • To: pritpalkaur05 AT gmail.com, swikig <swikig AT aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de>
  • Subject: Re: [swikig] Semantic extensions to Mediawiki other than Semantic Mediawiki?
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 21:20:59 +0200

hi, sorry, i don't get your message.
you may want to contact the semantic wiki group at
<swikig AT aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de>
best
martin

pritpalkaur05 AT gmail.com
wrote:
hi
i was searching for about semantic extensions to media wiki and sae your fourm so dear let me tell you one extension that is emantic form that can used to enter data on media wiki but still i m not how it could be used semantically but today i workout that also so plzz try that and check this link http://discoursedb.org/add_item.php
if i am not right then about this semantic form then plz correct me for the
same
thank

best
pritpalkaur
Martin Hepp wrote:
I think much of this discussion boils down to the question on whether you aim at *local consensus*, within limits of certain contexts, or *global truth* in a semantic wiki system. The makers of Cyc have, for good reasons, implemented their ontology so that certain statements are assumed to be valid only in some contexts, for it had shown to be to difficult to find a formal, consensual representation of conceptual entities *if it has to be valid in all contexts*.

Best
Martin
----------------------
http://www.heppnetz.de

Yaron Koren wrote:
Well, let me start by saying that I still disagree with the idea of
place-anywhere semantic triples, for the reason I expressed earlier:
you can easily have information conflicts. I couldn't follow
everything that was being said before, but I think most of the
discussion was about being able to *display* and *edit* the
information from a lot of different pages, not *store* it in different
pages.

That said, the example you give now is much more reasonable than the
example you had before (where data about a U.S. state was placed in
the page of someone who lives there). In fact, it's a perfectly
reasonable example: sometimes giving sub-data their own pages is too
much work. The solution for this is not arbitrary triples but n-ary
relations, which define a sub-component, itself composed of triples,
and then a relation between the main page and the sub-component.

n-ary relations aren't yet supported by Semantic MediaWiki, but they
could be and I really think they should be; see the email thread from
April 15 to see my summary of the discussion, and thoughts on the
issue.

I'm curious to hear what you, or anyone else, has to say about it.

-Y

On 5/4/07, Kelly Jones
<kelly.terry.jones AT gmail.com>
wrote:
There are a lot of semantic wikis out there, but I really like
Mediawiki and want a semantic wiki that has all of its features.

I've tried Semantic Mediawiki, but dislike its one major limitation:
on page X, you can only create triples starting with X.

I'm sure this works well when importing semantic data into a wiki, but
doesn't work so well when you're creating a wiki from scratch.

Example: for each book in a series, I'm creating a book page, and
listing characters in the book:

* [[Galder Weatherwax]], male human [[wizard]]
* [[Buggy Swires]], male [[gnome]]
* [[Lackjaw]], dwarf jeweler
* [[Weems]], male human [[mercenary]] born in [[Morpork]]

I'd like to semantically annotate this data, example:

Weems appears_in (bookname)
Weems birthplace Morpork
Weems race human
Weems gender male
Weems occupation mercenary

Semantic Mediawiki requires me to create a separate page for each
character, which quickly becomes a depth-first nightmare.

Is there a Mediawiki extension that will let me do this? I know there
are arguments against this sort of thing (eg, data consistency), but I
think the benefit outweighs the risk.

I'm tempted to use Mediawiki hooks to write something myself, but
wanted to check for existing extensions first.